Thursday, April 06, 2006

Wicked!

Went to see the musical Wicked this week! For those that are unfamiliar, it's the "true story" of the witches of Oz and the crazy things that happen before Dorothy's part of the story. Mostly based on the Gregory Maguire novel of the same name, the music and lyrics are done by Stephen Schwartz (of Broadway fame for Godspell and Pippin). By far the most notable number of the show was the song "Defying Gravity" which stunningly closed the first act. It's also the song that gets stuck in your head more than any other. One line in particular has been stuck with me for the past few days. The words are something like, "Too late for second guessing, too late to go back to sleep. It's time to trust my instincts, close my eyes and leap!" As one who frequents - and is practically a resident in - the Land of Second Guesses, I've taken the line as an interesting challenge. What would my life look like, were I to be more certain in trusting my instincts and moving forward, despite all doubts? I don't have an answer to that, but hopefully I'm on my way to finding one. Proactivity - defying gravity - here I come.

No comments: