Friday, November 17, 2006

Haul Out The Holly...

Once upon a time the Christmas season started after Thanksgiving. This year I think it started a week or two before Halloween and I'm sure it won't be long before "Christmas in July" becomes "Buy Your Lights Early Because There Won't Be Any Left On The Shelves In December". Not that I mind. I think there's something nice about getting the hustle and bustle of the decorating and shopping out of the way in November and then having December to sit back and enjoy it all. Granted I may get tired of hearing 82 versions of "Sleigh Ride" played endlessly on the radio, but for the most part, I'm enjoying the way the Christmas season is already unfolding around me. In case anyone is in doubt (or denial), here's the signs that regardless of how early it's coming, Christmas time really is here:

Christmas Music: The radio station 93.9 aka WLIT aka The Lite FM made the festive switch to The Holiday Lite this year on November 1st.

Decoration Sales: Sears was selling Christmas decor as early as October 27th (and I have a hunch other stores had things out even earlier).

Santa Sightings: The ever so popular Salvation Army bell ringers have been at Michigan Ave store entrances since November 13th.

Christmas Trees: Festive evergreens have risen in such glamorous locations as The Hancock Building (November 10th), Union Station (November 17th) and my living room (November 12th).

Christmas Weather:
Even mother nature decided to hit the holidays early as Chicago got a record early snowfall this year on October 12th. If that doesn't put you in mood for starting Christmas early, I don't know what will!

So for those that still resist the early holiday trend just know that for some of us, the song says it all:

Haul out the holly; Put up the tree before my spirit falls again.
Fill up the stocking, I may be rushing things,
but deck the halls again now.

For we need a little Christmas right this very minute,
Candles in the window, carols at the spinet.
Yes, we need a little Christmas right this very minute.
It hasn't snowed a single flurry, but Santa, dear, we're in a hurry!
So climb down the chimney,
Put up the brightest string of lights I've ever seen.

Slice up the fruitcake;
it's time we hung some tinsel on that evergreen bough.

For I've grown a little leaner, Grown a little colder,
Grown a little sadder, Grown a little older,
And I need a little angel sitting on my shoulder,
I need a little Christmas now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wal- Mart had some great roll back deals on egg nogg, candy canes and spiced pound cake. Hurry while supplies last!