Tuesday, January 23, 2007

FRGV ME PLS?

I thought this was an interesting article from Reuters online yesterday. A thief in Beijing returned a woman's purse, phone, and money after receiving several sympathetic text messages from her. What struck me as most impressive about the story was the content and emotional connection in the messages. Where as most people would think to text something along the lines of "Return my stuff you stupid @#*$!", this woman sent messages saying

"You must be going through a difficult time. If so, I will not blame you,"


and

"Keep the [money] if you really need it, but please return the other things to me. You are still young. To err is human. Correcting your mistakes is more important than anything"

I really liked her perspective of wanting to encourage and sympathize with the thief. Many in her situation would choose anger and want retribution, but her focus was on compassion and reconciliation. It reminded me a lot of a Ravi Zacharias sermon from who knows how many years ago. (At least I think it was Ravi... I could be misremebering, sorry.) But it's about the idea of radical reconciliation and taking attitudes of forgiveness that run so countercultural to our society that people have no choice but to stand up and take notice. I can't say whether or not the woman in the article is a Christ follower but I can say that her heart is in line with Jesus' mission. Read the full story for the outcome and the thief's reaction. Definitely a lesson to learn and a model to follow.

No comments: