Thursday, January 23, 2003

LoL #21: Wonder Woman

When I was a freshman in college I wrote "Wonder Woman" in the name blank on the top of one of my Bio 120 exams. My lab partner gave me the nickname due to my incredible ability to BS my way through the discussion part of lab reports at astounding speeds so that we usually got our write ups done before leaving lab. So as I sat in one of the front rows of Foellinger with my 2 sharpened #2 pencils eagerly dreading the first exam from my first class in my Major I scrawled the name at the top and showed it to my lab partner all for the sake of being silly and giving myself a bit of an ego/confidence booster before the exam. What I didn't realize was that we had to turn in the test booklet along with the scantron answer sheet. My TA was cracking up when I told her I needed to change my name at the top before I turned it into her.

That was a nice stroll down memory lane. :P Anyhoo, the subject of this e-mail is actually referring to the fact that I've been doing a lot of wondering lately rather than anything wonderous or superheroesque about yours truly (and the Bio 120 story was just a random tangenty anecdote).

First off, I wonder what's up with this whole Raelian CloneAid thing. Have you people heard about this? It's been in all the Chi-town newspapers these days but apparently there's some dude that claims aliens visited him in France (I don't know why France...) with a message that he should change his name to Rael and start cloning humans. My brother keeps accusing me of being part of it. It's rather funny because I'll make some offhand remark about "my clones" in reference to my flasks of cancer cells at work and he'll say something like "How's Rael doing?" He's weird. My brother, I don't actually know Rael. It's kind of like how I gave a speech for one of my classes in high school against the use of animals for cosmetic testing and to this day my brother jokes that I'm a member of PETA. I wonder why my brother's so weird. I guess it runs in the family....

Along that whole Raelian line though, I wonder what's up with this head honcho "Rael" dude anyway. Not that I have anything against him personally or even his message which I'll reserve my opinions on for later but I'm most wondering about his sense of style. [And for anyone who hasn't seen him in the news, think George Carlin as Rufus from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - that's him!] And his whole crew is just as strange. It's like they all said hey we got a message from aliens let's all dress like Star Trek characters! Who knows. I wonder if that was part of their message.

I'm also wondering why it's so darn cold in Chicago. And don't say cuz it's winter (DUH!). But we're in the middle of one of the longest coldest cold spells of recent history. It figures that for the past four years I spent the majority of winter in nice central Illinois and now that I'm back up in the north (eh?) it turns out to be a freakishly cold January. *sigh*

I also wonder who first invented gloves. I got a new pair the other day. Clearance sale at Target (sweet!!) and they're leather with fleece lining on the inside and they're super warm and cozy and I think to myself, these gloves are great...I wonder who invented gloves? Then I think that there are a lot of cool things that some unknown genius invented. Like bendy straws, nail polish and Cheez-Its.

I wonder why I mentioned Cheez-Its in this e-mail and I wonder if this is perhaps the most random LoL to date.

On that note, I wonder why the Dave Matthews Band song Grey Street isn't getting more radio play too. It's for serious the best DMB song since Sattellite and I hardly ever hear it on the radio. I really like it though and the lyrics 100% describe my life right now. I like Where Are you Going too and Bartender. I wonder why I haven't bought the album Busted Stuff yet.

I wonder if the reason I don't hear it is cuz I listen to crap music at work. For those of you who remember my Windy 100.3 agony of late October to December (The grapes commercial was the WORST!), you'll be happy to know that 100.3 is no longer Windy. The good news is it's WNND best of the 80's and 90's now, the bad news is, it's still kinda crap music. Granted I like your Manic Monday, The Safety Dance, Karma Chameleon, and I've never been one to turn off Corey Hart - but I think I'm maxing out on REO Speedwagon, Chicago, Foreigner, and Journey...and I don't even know that I can tell them all apart anymore.

I wonder if I have anything else to rant about right now....

nope. Guess not.


Wonderfully Yours,

lisa :)


p.s. I just realized that that closing makes me sound extremely egocentric but it's wonderfully as in I'm wondering not as in I'm the most wonderful person in the galaxy or anything like that. I also wonder if anyone has birthdays coming up that need shoutouts or if I missed anyone...

p.p.s. And for anyone who's wondering (no pun intended) my wisdom teeth surgery went well. The four gaping holes in my mouth are still a bit of an annoyance, but I'm doing fine. When they were first putting me under I was sitting in the chair staring at the ceiling and the dentist (starting to inject me with something) said "Now you're gonna feel a bit dizzy here in a sec...." and while he said that the ceiling tiles all started to rearrange themselves. It was way cool and I think my last words before going totally out were "That's way funky..."

p.p.p.s. I breifly mentioned the "grapes commercial" from Windy 100.3 and I don't know if I ever talked about it before but it's the California grapes commercial that I list as the single most stupid and annoying radio jingle I have ever heard in my entire 22 years of existence!! To quote the part that I unfortunately remember:

"The holidays are almost here,
so many people to shop for. I fear
I'll be wrapping, decorating til I drop,
the produce section is my very first stop!
Sweet and juicy, simple and true, I wanna share my grapes with you!
Keep those candy canes and sugar plums away, you see,
it's just California goodness for my family and me!
Red and green and blue black too - I wanna share my grapes with you!
I wanna share my, my grapes with you!"

Is that obnoxious or what?!?!? It was on at least twice an hour every work day in December. And if you don't find it hideously annoying just call me sometime and I'll sing it for you. Trust me, you'll agree.

:)



(I wonder if anyone will actually call and ask me to sing that...)

No comments: