Tuesday, April 08, 2003

LoL#29: April SNOW showers?

Cheesy Joke:
Q: "If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?"
A: "Pilgrims" (cause it's Mayflowers - like the ship - bringing Pilgrims....get it?)

Anyhoo, I told you it was a cheesy joke but it goes with that old rhyme April showers bring May flowers but I think whoever wrote that one wasn't talking about April snow showers like we're getting in the City this week. Seriously, people we're talking three inches of snow!

Three Inches!!! I'm not kidding. A week ago it was 70 degrees out there and now we got three inches of snow on the ground! Combine that with Monday in general and the insanity known as daylight savings time and let's just say I think everyone in my building was a little off their game yesterday. Just when you think spring has sprung we have to go and get hit with hibernation weather.

But I guess the tulips like it. :)

I dunno. I'll stop complaining about the weather now. It is pretty crazy though and the Caution: Falling Ice signs are back on the sidewalks but in the words of Richard Gere "That's Chicago!".

New subject: Birthday Shoutouts! Woohoo!!
First off I majorly screwed up in mistaking a birthday that I thought was May 6th for one that was actually March 6th. So the first super spiffy (overdue) b-day wishes go out to the super spiffy Maria J (aka Margarita Maria!) Sorry again about the mixup, but I hope things are going good for ya these days!!
Next up - and I'm only one day late on this one - April 7th was the super spiffy b-day of the super grrrrreat Ty Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrigg!!!!!
And last but certainly not least - and so that I don't miss it next week - an advance happy b-day on April 14th to the Champion of Cheeseheads and King of Kimwipes: Derek "3D/D-Bok/Happy-Yak-Dancer" B!

Anyhoo, to be breif: life's crazy these days. In fact, if I had to write a weather report of my life, unexpected snow flurries in the midst of a 70 degree April seems surprisingly appropriate. I don't mean to sound as if anything horrendous - or even minorly bad - is going on, it's just the usual (or rather UNusual) Lisa chaos. It's that whole idea of just when you've got a handle on the juggling act known as your life, someone goes and throws another ball into the frenzy. But that's what keeps us on our toes and makes life interesting.

On a somewhat related note, I've decided that I am basically 99.98% clueless about what I want in life. Now you all know first hand how indecisive and unpredictable I can be on a regular basis but I've recently been noticing a certain phenomenon that whenever I'll spend a considerable amount of time hoping and praying for something I'll just complain and whine about how stressful or annoying my life gets when I actually am presented with the opportunity to have it in my life. (i.e. the "it"s of late include: moving out of my parents house, taking the MCAT, serious responsibilities at church, and yadda yadda yadda...)

So I'm gonna stop. That is, I'm gonna stop whining and complaing, not hoping and praying. It's about time I start actually being a little bit grateful for random things that come my way because chances are, somewhere along the line, I either asked for it or can most definitely think of something that would have been much worse.

The record snowfall in April for Chicago was nine inches over two days back in 1985. It makes a slushy 3 inches seem pretty easy to handle. If worse comes to worse and we get the predicted 4 to 8 inches, I suppose I'll just be glad that it's not 48 inches.


Unexpected Snow Flurryfully Yours,

lisa :)


p.s. Something I don't normally do - I want to include some quick lyrics to a song we've been singing at my church. (It's a worship song so if anyone's rolling their eyes at me just know that my music tastes are ecclectic enough that next time it could just as easily be Pink Floyd.) I don't know if anyone's heard it but it's a way cool songand definitely fits with this e-mail:

Blessed be your name in the land that is plentiful
Where the streams of abundance flow, blessed be your name.
Blessed be your name when I'm found in the desert plains
When I walk through the wilderness, blessed be your name.

Every blessing you pour out, I'll turn back to praise
And when the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say:
Blessed be the name of the Lord, blessed be your glorious name.

Blessed be your name when the sun's shining down on me
When the world's all as it should be, blessed be your name.
Blessed be your name on the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering, blessed be your name.

Every blessing you pour out, I'll turn back to praise
And when the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say:
Blessed be the name of the Lord, blessed be your glorious name.

You give and take away, you give and take away.
My heart will choose to say: Lord, blessed be your name.

:)

No comments: